Saturday, August 13, 2011

Brucie...review.

Why would I leave the most amazing city in the world (Nashville) to come to NYC? Drumroll.......FOOD!

I've had some pretty amazing meals since I've been here but tonight I'm going to write about Brucie...a great little Italian inspired local haunt in Cobble Hill. http://www.brucienyc.com/
I wandered into Brucie one weekday evening after a long drive back into the city from some random work trip. I bellied up to the wooden, dimly lit bar and was greeted immediately by a warm smile of the bartender. I perused the menu and decided on an appetizer of marinated olives (duh) and a glass of Falanghina (yummy). The olives are part of their deli selection so they were brought right out from the display case. I rarely meet an olive I don't like and this was no different although I will say the marinade is quite strong so I can see someone with a more gentle pallet not enjoying the super strong taste.

For my entree I decided on the Tagliatelle pasta with a tomato butter sauce, brussels sprouts and homemade burrata. One word: Amazing. Three words: FRIED BRUSSELS SPROUTS. The dish came together so well with the crunch on the sprouts adding the perfect texture to the dish.

For dessert (did I mention one of the main reasons I took this job was to eat?)...I gave a try to the coffee ice cream with dark chocolate pieces. From my perch at the bar I was able to see the kitchen quite well and I saw what I thought was them prepping my ice cream, however, when I saw them dash it with olive oil I knew I was mistaken. WRONG. My ice cream arrives topped with not only chocolate but also olive oil & salt. OK...foodies....let's have a serious discussion here. I'm all for a little salty and sweet and the salt topping was a perfect addition but the olive oil...I'm not sold yet. I truly felt like the olive oil's strong (but delicious) flavor completely overshadowed the coffee flavor in the ice cream so all I ended up tasting was chocolate, salt, olive oil and a sweet cold cream of some sort. If the fine folks at Brucie happen to be 1 of the 6 people reading my blog perhaps they can take note of this....

My experience was pretty nice-- everyone there had a smile and didn't look at me weird for dining at the bar by myself. I give it 3 out of 4 stars.



1 comment:

  1. Fried brussel sprouts? I'm intrigued.... Although not so much with the olive oil on the ice cream. Weird.

    ReplyDelete